When milling concrete, we remove a (thin) layer of a concrete floor using a milling machine. This can vary from a few millimeters to a few centimeters. Concrete milling is a very efficient way to prepare a floor for processing or to make it look like new again.
Applications of concrete milling
Concrete milling is a useful technique for several purposes. The following activities are possible after removing the top layer from the concrete:
- Renewal of the floor by removing scratches, coatings, paint layers and rust
- In preparation for the installation of floor heating
- Remove height differences between concrete surfaces
- Preparation for the installation of a new cast floor
- Improve drainage
Our milling machines
We use special floor milling machines for milling concrete. At Nieuwenhuis we work with the machines from Piranha and Wirtgen for the best results. The Piranha is electric and we use it to remove hard and flexible top layers. This milling machine is able to mill thicker layers in one go. The Piranha can be equipped with coarse or very fine rolls, depending on the job. In addition, we use various machines from Wirtgen, such as the W350 E. This machine is very compact and can therefore be used in different places.
We also have a Rotorunner Diesel machine, which is powered by a soot filter. This machine can be used on almost any floor.
Concrete milling techniques
When milling concrete, we use two different types of milling at Nieuwenhuis, depending on the project:
- Chisel milling: with chisel milling technology, the milling head of the machine is equipped with chisels. Chisels are ideal for the rough jobs and remove a few centimeters of concrete floor in no time
- Slat milling: another technique we use for concrete floors is the slat mill. This is especially suitable for removing thin coatings or roughening a concrete floor. Drum milling is also called lamella milling.
Concrete milling? Choose Nieuwenhuis
Are you curious about the possibilities of concrete milling your surfaces? At Nieuwenhuis we are happy to help you further. We have more than 30 years of experience in the world of substrate preparation. We work for many different clients: from shipyards to demolition companies! Contact us for more information about milling.